Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ms. Producer: Worst Case Scenarios


This job is a big ball of pressure. You have to impress everyone: viewers, co-workers, bosses, the whole she-bang. And there is always going to be one person who says you should have done this or you should have done that. It can eat you alive.

But what's worse is when you hear all those things, you just want to go home and not think about work and all you do is think about work. Even better? When you dream about it, which I do all the time.

Let's see. One night I had a dream that everyone's mics stopped working. Literally everyone. Len, the anchor, Sean, the weather man, and Dennis, the sports anchor. Everyone was running around, you could see production crews live as they tried to fix it. Some tried to just yell. It was horrendous. I woke up in a cold sweat because it felt so real.

Then there was another dream where we were opening the show and our lead story had just come on the air. I had a reporter live in the field and then all of a sudden, it went black. It was supposed to be a straight live shot, meaning lots of ad-libbing and no video to show. And it was just a black screen. That was a fun one.

Oh and then there was the dream where everyone got the giggles and could not stop laughing, there was no talking, no words, just laughter. For what I would guess in dream minutes was at least 15 minutes of the show. We didn't get through anything because everyone could not stop laughing. It was a show of laughter. If you had turned us on in my dream, you would have seen everyone with their eyes half open and heard cackles.

But there is a bright spot to all the crazy I dream. The shows thus far, knock on wood, have been nowhere close to that bad. So at the end of the day, my dreams are the ones that make me feel better because I know whatever happened did not involve me not having a show.

Dreams are my worst case scenario.

1 comment: